Indian High Court IT Initiatives
The Indian Punjab and Haryana High Court has begun utilising IT to support litigants, lawyers and judges in a variety of ways.
The IT initiatives developed by the ‘Computer Committee’ of the Punjab and Haryana High Court will apply to the workings of the High Court and several district courts. Major innovations include:
- online payment of court services
- a mobile application that enables litigants to access case information
- an online feedback and grievances system
- A system for managing information on sureties, which aims to detect the fake provision of sureties
- A software for report generation by district courts and for the speedy delivery of e-notices to relevant parties
Despite of the promising nature of these initiatives it would also be prudent to consider how they may give rise to novel problems, such as an increased potential for fraud, which have been observed in other reform projects that rely on new technologies.