The 10 Year Anniversary of the Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor
On the 25th of September it will be the 10 year anniversary of the Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor (CLEP 10). This provides a great opportunity for members to spotlight access to justice issues.
For CLEP 10, the Global Legal Empowerment Network will be presenting a global petition outlining demands to increase financing and protections for grassroots justice defenders, holding events in New York (the place of the UN General Assembly) and calling for 10 days of action worldwide.
As part of the 10 days of action, they encourage national activities that promote national advocacy and financing goals. These include:
- A high level meeting between civil society and policy makers - civil society can share the global policy brief, petition and/or relevant national advocacy papers.
- Convene donor organisations to discuss challenges around financing access to justice and to brainstorm ways more financing can be dedicated to grassroots justice defenders in your country.
- Convene civil society organisations to celebrate the work of grassroots justice defenders, to discuss remaining challenges and to plan campaign activities to overcome these challenges.
- Host a public walk to mobilise and celebrate your community and to draw attention to remaining challenges being faced by grassroots justice defenders.
- Host a press conference or take over a TV show/radio program to discuss the CLEP anniversary and share stories of success and challenges being faced by grassroots justice defenders.
You should also keep an eye out for the resources that the Justice For All team will be sharing: a global policy brief, posters, graphics and a social media pack.